Sole e Amore (Sun and Love) is just around the corner! Warm up your February with beautiful, heartfelt songs from your favorite Italian composers. Lyric Music Director Designate Enrique Mazzola and members of the Ryan Opera Center Ensemble perform lesser-known musical gems by Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, Verdi, Puccini, and Mascagni, selected with love by Maestro Mazzola.
Watch the ultimate showdown between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, February 7, 2021 at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.
The Weeknd will be the Halftime Show headliner.
This year attendance will be limited to 22,000 fans in the stadium.
Today marks the 265th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, one of the most prolific and influential composers in history. To celebrate the occasion, we bring you a lovely excerpt from Idomeneo. Though not as well known as The Marriage of Figaro or The Magic Flute, this opera is filled with gorgeous melodies that reach deep into the soul of each character. In this scene, the captive princess Ilia, portrayed by soprano Janai Brugger, thinks of her lover Idamante and asks the breezes to carry her love to him.
Plus, learn more about Mozart with 15 facts about the great composer, hear artists such as Bobby McFerrin, Julia Bullock, and Lawrence Brownlee talk about their experiences as classical musicians, test your knowledge of opera characters, and preview a new album from baritone Will Liverman.
The 2020 French Open is a Grand Slam tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts. It is held at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France.
The Semi-Finals for the men and women divisions start on Saturday Oct. 10!
Since its beginning is 1891, the French Open, held at Roland-Garros has been a worldwide destination for both the players and the audience.
It is down to two as Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin squares off against Iga Swiatek, the teenager from Poland, appearing in her maiden Grand Slam final.
Kenin, the No.4 seed, looks to add a second major trophy in 2020 following her breakthrough triumph at Melbourne Park, while Swiatek bids to cap a barnstorming run, having passed the fourth round at a major for the first time.
As the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox begin the well-known Chicago Crosstown Classic on this Friday, September 25th, the two teams are also on track to accomplish a unique feat in baseball history with playoff berths. The Chicago Cubs punched their ticket to the postseason on Tuesday night, ensuring that this season will be a history-making one in the city of Chicago.
That’s because the Cubs and the White Sox will both compete in the postseason, a feat that is incredibly rare in the history of Major League Baseball.
In fact, 2020 is only the third time in the history of the sport that both Chicago teams have reached the playoffs in the same year, with the White Sox clinching their spot earlier this month.
The previous two instances occurred in 1906, when the White Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series, and 2008, when both the Cubs and White Sox were knocked out in the divisional series round by the Los Angeles Dodgers and Tampa Bay Rays, respectively.
Now, both teams have bigger fish to fry, as both are trying to win divisional titles. Those titles would come with top-three seeds in their respective leagues and home-field advantage in their Wild Card round playoff series, a big benefit when the home team will host all three games of the best-of-three series.
Contact your CUI Concierge to get VIP Treatment at the best viewing locations.
University of Chicago law lecturer Sylvia Neil has been named board chair of Lyric Opera of Chicago. She is the first woman to hold the post.
The board of directors elected Neil to the post at its meeting early this month. She joined the board in May of 2011 and for the past year has served as board chair-elect, a new position at the organization.
Neil succeeds David Ormesher, who becomes chair of the executive committee, and who was board chair during Lyric’s 2018 musicians’ strike. Lester Crown, who has been executive committee chair for 30 years, becomes executive committee chair emeritus. In the release announcing Neil’s appointment, Lyric management says that these events signify a “new plan of succession” for Lyric board chairs.
“Lyric is thrilled to welcome Sylvia as our new board chair,” said Lyric General Director Anthony Freud in the release. He went on to say that Neil has proved a “tremendous leader” for the organization, including establishing Lyric’s Heroes’ Fund, which has raised more than $10 million to offset the financial damages wrought by the pandemic.
“Sylvia’s background and commitment to equity and the arts come at a critical juncture for Lyric,” he said. “Her work will be challenging and I am confident in her abilities to find smart solutions to complex issues.”
In accepting the post, Neil said she was honored to be the first woman chair at Lyric, a company that has had two female general directors—Carol Fox and Ardis Krainik. “These are the folks that light my path forward,” Neil said.
Neil, former associate dean at the University of Chicago Law School, has also been an adjunct professor at Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law and taught at DePaul School of Law and Roosevelt University.
She and her husband, Dan Fischel, have sponsored a number of Lyric productions, including Elektra, Madame Butterfly, and The Marriage of Figaro. The two organized and sponsored the Heroes’ Fund after Lyric announced it would cancel its 2020 Ring cycle due to the pandemic.
Lyric Opera of Chicago is not the first major Chicago arts organization to have a female board chair. Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Shedd Aquarium, Joffrey Ballet, and the Field Museum have all had female board chairs.
-Lisa Bertagnoli, Crain’s
America’s greatest race, the Kentucky Derby takes place where it began in 1875, at Churchill Downs. Saturday, September 5th, the best of the best horses will come together to race for the opportunity to win the golden trophy.
NEW YORK — The National Hockey League today announced the following updates to the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs First Round schedule for Tuesday, Aug. 18 and Wednesday, Aug. 19:
• The start time of Game 4 between the Montreal Canadiens and Philadelphia Flyers is 3 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet, CBC and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars is 5:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and CBC.
• The start time of Game 4 between the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals is 8 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Chicago Blackhawks and Vegas Golden Knights is 10:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Tampa Bay Lightning is 12 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes is 4 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Arizona Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche is 5:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NHL Network (and joined in progress on NBCSN) in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet 360.
• The start time of Game 5 between the Montreal Canadiens and Philadelphia Flyers is 8 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet, CBC and TVA Sports.
• The start time of Game 5 between the St. Louis Blues and Vancouver Canucks is 10:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on Sportsnet and CBC
Stanley Cup Playoffs begin today!
Tune-in beginning at 3pm EST
Best-of-7 series to be played in Toronto, Edmonton
Tuesday, Aug. 11
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Tampa Bay Lightning: Game 1 -3 p.m. ET| NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Calgary Flames vs. Dallas Stars: Game 1 – 5:30 p.m. ET | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Boston Bruins: Game 1 – 8 p.m. ET | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Vegas Golden Knights: Game 1 – 10:30 p.m. ET| NBCSN, SN, TVAS
Philadelphia Flyers (1) vs. Montreal Canadiens (8)
Wednesday, Aug. 12, 8 p.m. ET: Canadiens @ Flyers | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Friday, Aug. 14, 3 p.m. ET: Canadiens @ Flyers | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
Sunday, Aug. 16, 8 p.m. ET: Flyers @ Canadiens | NBC, CBC, SN, TVAS
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 3 p.m. ET: Flyers @ Canadiens | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS
*Wednesday, Aug. 19, TBD: Canadiens @ Flyers | TBD
*Friday, Aug. 21, TBD: Flyers @ Canadiens | TBD
*Sunday, Aug. 23, TBD: Canadiens @ Flyers | TBD